5 Important Things to Know Before Designing a Cabin
It’s easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of designing a cabin: the cozy fireplace, the rustic furniture, the beautiful scenery…
But before you start clearing your land while daydreaming about your forest home, know that the luxuries of log cabin living don’t always come easy. There are some important things log home builders, like Gingrich Builders, want you to know and consider to make sure your custom cabin is designed as efficiently as possible to effectively meet your design goals!
Keep reading to discover the 5 most important things to consider before custom building your own cabin – or reach out to our team today to get a quote or schedule a consultation!
5 Things to Consider Before You Build Your Own Cabin
No matter if you are planning to build a log cabin in the woods or a lakeside log home, here are 5 important things to consider before building your own cabin:
- Budget – Of course, perhaps the biggest factor dictating whether or not you build your own cabin is the budget. When you consider custom designing a cabin with Gingrich Builders, we’ll ask if you have the financing started or in place, as well as help put together a realistic cost estimate for the project you’re describing. Many people interested in log cabin living are surprised to learn that designing a cabin can be quite affordable if designed efficiently.
- Location – Another topic we’ll discuss is the location of your potential new log home! Are you envisioning a cozy home by the lake or a forest log cabin? Being headquartered in Lancaster, PA, our team of log cabin living experts will discover if your proposed location is within our standard service area or if it will require an additional travel expense.
- Standard VS. Custom – After the budget and location are figured out, we’ll get started talking about the more exciting parts of log cabin living: the design of your future home! Whether you want to design a cabin that is fully customized or you’d like to build your own cabin as a beautiful hybrid between a standard model and personalized touches, we encourage you to check out our 25+ log cabin models to stir up some inspiration! Learn more about the differences in modular log homes vs. custom log cabins in our blog.
- Timeline – The timeline your log cabin home can be completed in is dependent on a number of factors including material availability, your builder’s schedule, permit approvals, and more. Though most log cabin building materials for sale are back in stock, it is common to expect a slightly extended delivery time for products. For an accurate scheduling estimate, it’s best to reach out to your local log cabin builder directly!
- Ongoing Maintenance – One thing to keep in mind when considering building your own cabin is the exterior maintenance that will need to be done. Though it is typically more than the average vinyl siding home, the beauty and serenity of a log home outweighs the re-staining of a cabin. Don’t let log home maintenance overwhelm you, simply contact our experienced team to take care of all needed maintenance. – learn all the tips and tricks of treating log home exteriors here!
Ready to start designing your personal forest log cabin? When building your own cabin, many people enjoy scheduling an appointment with Gingrich Builders to discuss the pros and cons of the log home models they are interested in – and we encourage you to do the same!
Get in touch with one of our friendly log cabin experts now. Contact us online!
How to Make the Most of Log Cabin Living with a Custom Design
When log cabin living is important to you, you want to make sure you’re getting exactly what you want AND a process that helps expand on your ideas (not minimize them). With Gingrich Builders, we have several simple options for customizations to make designing your own cabin easy!
One option is to choose any of our standard cabin models as your base – then, customize certain features about it to make it truly your own. However, you can also bring your own sketch of a fully custom log home to our office, and we’ll be happy to have it drawn to scale by a professional draftsman!
Despite your preferred approach, when designing a cabin, you’ll want to consider things like:
- The number of bedrooms and bathrooms you’ll need
- The size of the kitchen and whether you want an open concept or a more traditional layout
- Any special features you might want, like a fireplace, a porch, or a loft
Consider reading our in-depth blog, “Log Home Building Basics: A Room by Room Guide for Creating a Your Dream Cabin” for more practical design tips!
Custom Design a Cabin with Gingrich Builders!
If you’re interested in building your own cabin, we encourage you to contact us for a custom quote. Our team of log cabin experts will be happy to help you design the perfect cabin for your needs and budget. Simply fill out our online form or give us a call, and we’ll get started on making your dream cabin a reality.